[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

Hello, all:

I just suggested that someone who was having trouble with
NTFS4DOS not recognizing an NTFS partition run fdisk with the
development kernel.

I requested that he enable large disk support and use option
[4], "List Partition Information."

This appears to have removed the partition information from the
MBR.

Are you sure fdisk did this and that wasn't his problem to begin with? or something else related to his problem caused the error?

Anyone have any ideas about this?  Is FDISK so dangerous that
even using it to examine partition tables is a bad idea?

Thanks.

Mark Bailey

I haven't looked at fdisk's code in a while, but from my usage, I have never seen it alter the MBR/partition table without issuing a command that involves such a change (ie option 4 never made any changes). And a brief reexamination of the code seems to confirm this (it has checks for changes so only writes if a change has occurred).

Brian could tell you for sure (or anyone who wants to read the sources), but I feel pretty confident in saying that using (Free)Fdisk to examine the partition tables should not cause any harm -- but not a method I'd recommend (users can do some funny things), so a tool designed just to display the partition tables would be better.

Jeremy