I am releasing FDPKG 0.1 Beta today which brings to realization my
goal of implementing the package system used on my Enhanced Releases
in C to bring more advanced features.  This version includes some
support for dependencies as well as installing, removing, and
configuring packages, plus a regular FreeDOS package (i.e one not
coming from my distro) can be installed simply by using the /E option
which specifies to extract only, not check for dependencies or launch
configuration scripts.
It is available at
www.ibiblio.org/pub/micro/pc-stuff/freedos/files/distributions/blair/fdpkg/fdpkg01.zip

The syntax has changed slightly since fdpkg.bat, but should be easy to
learn and is much simpler.  The new syntax demands that instead of
specifying "source" or "binary" as an argument, simply append type the
full name of the package (ending in 'x' or 's') and fdpkg will do its
best to detect a source or binary package.  Instead of "Install" as an
argument, it is "/Install", and "/Remove" instead of "Remove", etc....
 Also, it is unneccesary to specify the directory of a package to
install, but rather simply add this to the filename of the path;
instead of "c:\package\dir pkgx.zip", "c:\package\dir\pkgx.zip".  If
the filename's last character is not 'x', it is assumed to be a source
package.

Some imrovements have been made to the way things are done, but older
packages should run and integrate perfectly fine into this version.
Some improvements are:

- remove.bat is no longer needed to remove a package, but is now more
of a script that specifies to remove extra files not originally part
of the package (e.g. unzipped after the package was installed by the
configure script).
- depends.bat is outdated and can be replaced by a simple depends.txt
where each line in that text file represents a needed package minus
the 'x' or 's'.  An example depends.txt would be:
cwsdpmi
dos4gw
dos32a
- Wildcards are now accepted, which means that you can do "FDPKG
/REMOVE *.*" to delete all packages from your system (though NOT
recommended :-) )

As of yet, there are no known bugs, but I'm sure that will change.
Hopefully, my next Enhanced Release distro will integrate this new
version into the installation process, and will possibly automatically
check dependencies of packages after installation.

Planned features include:
The ability to attempt to install a package that is depended on by
another package
Support for archives packed with 7za.exe
Error checking of Unzip.exe [and 7za.exe]
Any suggestions by others may be considered

--
Fall is my favorite season in Los Angeles, watching the birds change
color and fall from the trees.

See ya