Here is a suggestion that you could try to fix the installation
problem. I haven't had a chance to try it myself:

Hi, it could be the case that the nlsfunc interaction is what
crashes for you (nlsfunc/display/mode/devel-kernel). Try if it
helps to skip loading nlsfunc (hit f8 at boot, then you are
asked for each driver if it should be loaded). If that helps:
Just remove nlsfunc from your config sys. Then chcp will no
longer work, but you can still use display and mode to switch
codepages manually.

Looking forward to reading your test results...

Eric

ps: if English is your native language, you are probably not
interested in codepage switching at all anyway.

--
"... all the modern inconveniences ..."
                -- Mark Twain