Hi,

If you buy hardware in a managed way (e.g. HP, IBM, Dell) I don't think you'll have any problems getting FreeDOS to pull o/s builds from servers. I use this to do Windows 2000 builds on a big network; it's very reliable and fast. However, I'm not sure there a future in this for a few reasons:

1. Windows Vista has a new deployment system, it's a seriously bloated o/s and pulling an image over DOS with LanMan and messing around with FAT conversions and cluster sizes might not be viable. I don't know for sure but it would not surprise me if Microsoft try to scupper this kind of build strategy.

2. If you run Windows 2003 servers you could find it impossible to connect to your server share from FreeDOS network clients for two reasons:

a) Kerberos Authentication
b) SMB Signing

In theory tools such as WinPE get round these kinds of problems in that you can write straight to NTFS with the correct cluster size and you can connect using Kerberos and SMB signing (at least in theory).

When you say "bootable application" it's hard to know what you mean; if you mean a real-mode 16bit DOS app then FreeDOS should be perfect. If you mean a 32/64bit Windows app then that's another story.

basudeb gupta wrote:
Hello All,
I have to decide between FreeDos. WinPE as the platform for a bootable application. Are the latest
lan card drivers available on FreeDOS? Is there a list of supported lan cards
somewhere?
Thanks
Basudeb

Gerry Hickman (London UK)