QHIMEM is a totally new and alternate -- utterly superfluous in my opinion -- memory manager that can have nothing to do with your problem, and I do not recommend it's use for debugging here.

There is no correlation between the HIMEM-style memory manager and an application's use of upper memory blocks since it doesn't do the memory mapping and does not load the programs when DOS is in control of UMB's, as you have indicated.

I suggest being highly suspicious of people attempting to rewrite your CONFIG.SYS files to serve their own advocacy purposes.