Hi,

A few days ago, I created a boot diskette created under Windows
Millenium (virus free according to ClamWin), and replaced FDISK by
FreeFDISK on that diskette. After that, I created several partitions
using FreeDISK, but was unable to format some partitions on the disk
using neither FORMAT, nor the install process of the Windows Me CD.
Finally, I recovered the hard disk thanks to Ubuntu 6.06 CD that
partitioned and installed like a charm.

While I was suffering, I posted a message on news:alt.comp.hardware to
know whether my disk was dying. Some contibutors suggested that the
partitionning could be screwed, and one clearly stated that the
problem might have been caused by FreeFDISK and that he had seen
similar problems on 3 computers before. (
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED] ).

So, I thought that reporting my experience here could be useful. Let's
hope that this is a "false positive".
You may find more information on the USENET thread: See
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED] and the