You should backup your boot/mbr sector first to a blank floppy with
following command:

dd if=/dev/hda of=/dev/fd0 bs=512 count=1

because if after installing freedos on that dos partition lilo or grub
dont come up next boot than you can restore it with dd if=/dev/fd0
of=/dev/hda bs=512 count=1

--chris
http://nxdos.sourceforge.net/