I don't have Parallels anymore, but to debug this I tried to install
FreeDOS 1.0 using VMWare.  I hit the same problem you found: after
using XFDisk to partition the drive, reboot, and then you see "invalid
operating system".

The reason is that the BIOS presented by VMWare (or in your case,
Parallels) tries to boot from the hard drive first, then CD-ROM.  If
the hard drive is uninitialized (i.e. no partitions, before you run
XFDisk) then it boots correctly from the FreeDOS 1.0 install CD.

Once you partition the drive, there is a C: drive there, so the
virtual machine tries to boot from the C: drive.  But there isn't an
operating system there yet, so the virtual machine aborts with
"invalid operating system".

The solution is to edit the BIOS settings using the BIOS Setup
program.  You'll see this when you boot your virtual machine - under
VMWare, you press F2 when you see the VMWare "BIOS" logo.  Under the
"Boot" menu, you'll be able to change the boot selection order.  On
VMWare, you move the cursor to "CD-ROM" then use "+" to move it up in
the list (above "Hard Drive".)

Once you've done that, the virtual machine should be able to boot the
FreeDOS 1.0 install CD to do the actuall installation.  On my VMWare
instance, it took about 10 minutes.  :-)

-jh