On Sun, 2007-04-01 at 14:09 +0200, Eric Auer wrote:
> Hi Roger,
>
> > To fix, I re-ran mkisofs on the iso file after mounting it.
> > I've then posted instructions here:
> > http://wiki.fdos.org/Installation/BootDiskCreateCDROM
>
> Can you also provide information on how the re-compiled
> iso file differs from the original one? Then we can check
> why we did not get things right in the official isos.

I already did. :-)  I simply extracted the iso and re-ran mkisofs.

I strongly think it was one of the switches I used with mkisofs that
solved the problem.

The choice of command line switches was simply obtained from the
Isolinux/Syslinux documentation on it's usage.

I'm guessing the FreeDOS packager either left out or modified a switch
preventing the iso files from being bootable on some platforms.  Or, if
mkisofs actually reads any of the libs of the user's installed syslinux,
then I have sys-boot/syslinux-3.31 installed here.

> In addition, if that is not asking a bit too much, would
> you be interested to throw some updates in your iso and
> then help us to get an updated fdbase iso online with your
> changes and the updates? We would have to find a nice way
> to transfer such a big file, of course. I can give you
> detailled information about the suggested updates.

All I needed to do was update my firmware on my Sil 3112a PCI card.  Of
which, Silicon required running their updates from DOS.  Matter of fact,
they actually requested users to use FreeDOS and gave step by step
directions on their website!  Getting disgruntled and absolutely
refusing to install my troublesome floppy drive, I immediately resorted
to finally getting and learning how to use FreeDOS live cdrom.

Because it's DOS and have had my share of fun using DOS in school along
with BASIC & COBOL, I prefer sticking with Linux. :-)

I think it's a great tool for Corporations to use if they want to insist
on always using DOS for bios updates.

> Thanks ;-) Eric

Since I learn much from the Wiki Godesses, I noticed FreeDOS had an
empty one, I try to at least help document as much as I can with the
little free time I get. :-/  Currently, I'm keeping an eye on the
LinuxBios Project with Intel 440BX.  If I had more free time, I would be
more active with helping getting working bios builds for them, but I
spend a lot of time cooking with my odd diet. :-/

I also have a feeling I might be needing the FreeDOS live cdrom for
burning the LinuxBios files if the LinuxBios flashrom scripts can unmask
by 440BX motherboard chips.  ... Another thought, I've got a couple of
DiskOnChips that have DOS tools for reading and writing partitions and
other data to them.  mmmm.....

Just for kicks, I might yank out my Bios chip and play with my
DiskOnChips within FreeDOS for awhile today. :-)

--
Roger
http://www.eskimo.com/~roger/index.html

Mon Apr 2 15:36:18 PDT 2007