Hello,

2007/6/4, Eric Auer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

> Hi Aitor,
>
> > I am afraid I disagree, Eric. We are just having badly or poorly
> > commented code BECAUSE we are creating Open Source. I believe it is
> > not as much the case for SMALL firms, but as for software written for
> > big firms, they usually not only count, but also force you to write
> > complete documentation (not only code comments), functional and
> > technical, some others also test cases, and many many manuals for it.
>
> That would possibly be overdoing things again... I hope that my
> open source code - and quite a bit of the FreeDOS stuff - has
> reasonably well commented sources. On the other hand, I have

I don't quite agree, but anyway I don't care about the "local"
comments, but just some document explaining the basic "architecture"
of a piece of software (usually 1-2 lines saying where to start). I'm
not free of guilt, though. I just try to describe what I see in real
life.

> seen the case that a meeting about coding style has been post-
> poned (in a company) "because people will not change anyway".
> So far for companies "giving the good example" ;-).

Not serious ones. Strategic decission to change services provider can
come, and then what.

> But of course it is always good to remember that we have to
> remind ourselves to write good code in open source. Because
> we are not paid for FreeDOS, there is no "quality control
> dept" either. On the other hand, there could be one - working
> with volunteers, just like our "software devel dept" :-).

That would be an idea, provided that there would be enough volunteers
to afford that.
Hopefully there's one for Linux kernel, e.g.

Aitor