Hi Japheth,

> > However, it is not good that
> > JEMM now simply ignores the altboot option.

Another suggestion: Reboot without calling the other int 15
handlers at all if some "altboot2" option is active, and
keep ignoring "altboot"? Because FreeDOS users gotten used
to using "altboot" even though it meant "behave similar to
MS non-altboot" for a while now. Optionally, one could also
show a message about the meaning change of altboot when the
normal "altboot" option is detected on the command line.

PS: Note that JEMM can reboot "colder" than MS emm386 in
general (you filed a reminder about in bugzilla yourself)
so delayed-write caches might not be signalled to flush
before reboot. Otoh, if you use "fastboot", reboots are
"warmer" than MS emm386, which is not compatible to all DOS
drivers that you may have loaded. Maybe interesting to know.

> it's acceptable IMO. The few machines which caused troubles were listed
> in the MS document, and I don't think they are widely used nowadays.
> And IMO the MS ALTBOOT strategy is slightly "hackish". It checks the
> caller's address (which works with MS KEYB), but a - tiny - keyboard
> driver which just hooks into int 15h, ah=4Fh, won't be detected this
> way. So no, I'm not gonna do this extra work ... without a reliable
> testcase ...

Indeed - the price for MS altboot is that int 15 hookers
inside the UMB area do become less safe. It is just an extra
possibility to get ctrl-alt-del to work if the normal ways
failed. Another "extra possibility" idea might be to parse
the JMP at ffff:0 and put a 2nd breakpoint at the target.

Anyway. We will find out if somebody finds a machine for which
ctrl-alt-del still does not work after your recent update :-).

Eric