Hi Alain, Enbor,

> >> If i understand correctly, "root (hd0,5)" is because it is in an
> >> extended partition. No DOS can boot from extended partitions.

> I have never seen it done, nither DOS or Windows up to 98 ;-)

I think it CAN be done but you would have to do a manual fixup
of the partition offset / hidden sectors value in the boot sector.

I have a Linux Perl script for installing custom boot sectors,
www.coli.uni-saarland.de/~eric/stuff/soft/specials/sys-freedos-linux.zip ,
and with Grub, you can also even write the boot sector to a file
instead of to the partition, might be safer... For that option,
you would FIRST copy the old boot sector to a file, for example
with OSCHECK (in DOS), and THEN use my tool to edit the sector.

You can also use my tool to edit the boot sector inside the
partition, without using separate files. Target "files" can
be partition devices, diskimages, or boot sector files :-).

Maybe you two could play around and look for a working config.

> > Command: makeactive

Not required for DOS partitions :-) You can use a boot menu
like Grub and Lilo to boot any partition, but this does not
help you to solve the "our SYS cannot make a boot sector
which would work on a non primary partition" problem...

Eric