>> Why I am surprised: running on virtual machines I would have immagined
>> that these would be useless. Not the least that I doubt, but I am
>> *curious*, having a reasonable hardware knowledge. Could you please give
>> a (short) explanation of what happens in this situation?

> I measured the speed differences, but I didn't analyze the reasons why. My
> guess is that the virtualizer's BIOSes are "optimized" for reliability, not
> for speed. Therefore they're doing disk I/O with PIO, but DMA is faster (and
> easier?) to emulate.

I was surprised first as well.

I would have expected in the Int 13 BIOS some special Trap into the virtual
maschine, that would simply transfer a couple of sectors, rather then
read them by PIO/DMA/UDMA.
For CD/DVD that's different, as the I/O is done by some driver, out of
control for the BIOS writers.

OTOH, they had to emulate PIO/UDMA access anyway (for
Linux/Windows/etc.), so they probably took a generic BIOS (which does
transfer sectors with PIO), which works as well.

Given that the BIOS is usually only used to transfer a few MB during
boot, the slow BIOS performance is probably not of great importance to
the developers ;)

Tom

Mit freundlichen Grüßen/Kind regards
Tom Ehlert