SpinRite use freedos to run. When you boot SpinRite it boots into freedos.
That's the operating system he uses.

Ron Spruell Sr.

-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Mark Knecht
Sent: Thursday, May 08, 2008 2:05 PM
To: freedos-user@lists.sourceforge.net
Subject: [Freedos-user] USB hard drive support (non-booting) under FreeDOS?

Hi,
   Completely new to the list. First post. Be gentle. ;-)

   I have a program called SpinRite used for checking hard drives. On
the Gibson Research page they state that if I can see drives under DOS
then there's a good chance that SpinRite can test the drives. I'd like
to try that under FreeDOS. (Note that they use FreeDOS on their
bootable distribution.) The input I got from their tech support folks
was that it's hit and miss WRT the USB controllers in the specific
machine but I've got a number of machines that I could try so
hopefully I've got a chance.

   I'm looking for any reasonable solution that might allow me to do
this. My ideas are:

1) A prebuilt FreeDOS ISO image that has some USB drivers in
config.sys supporting OHCI, EHCI or UHCI USB controllers, as well as
supporting a CD-ROM. With this I could try running SpinRite from a
second CD after booting FreeDOS. I've done this with FreeDOS already
and it works but the FreeDOS ISO image I downloaded doesn't seem to
support USB.

2) Failing that (or in addition to) I'd like to build my own FreeDOS
bootable CD where I set up the drivers I want to load. I've found a
couple of USB DOS drivers  that I could try if I placed them in
config.sys.

   If there some other way to try this I'll take any inputs. I'd even
be fine with running FreeDOS in a Linux terminal if it can access the
drives via the Linux kernel.

Thanks in advance,
Mark