It's just my preference but why do *any* of this with the installation
program? Maybe you'd be better off installing FreeDOS by hand, from
scratch, making sure that works, and then installing just the
components you really need.

I'm new to FreeDOS. My first install was using gparted to create a
FAT32 partition and then using the basic system installer and copying
over an autoexec.bat and config.sys. It was quick, easy and best of
all I felt like I had a basic picture of what was going on. I then
tried the FreeDOS installer that you are speaking of. It took 20-30
minutes and at the end I didn't have a clue why I was installing any
of this stuff.

Sometimes, for some of us, the most basic simple way is actually pretty good.

Just an idea,
Mark