Hola,

> What are the reason why someone would use DOS?
> - just some of my first thoughts, perhaps what I planed to do
> - classic DOS games
> - legacy applications
> - nostalgia
> - interesting for programmers
> - easy hardware access
> - very lightweight, starts very fast
> - special purpose (backup, scan virus...)

I am booting in DOS because  it is fast. F.e. I can use MPXPLAY which
shut down the pc easily after playing. I am also using it in DOSEMU,
which is great (but no bugless).  Yes, the biggest problem is support
of sound. And in the near future the "Extensible Firmware Interface".

> Some BIOS are stupid like mine. It has really no legacy emulation,
> neither keyboard/mouse nor soundblaster. Blame legacy BIOS, I hope for a
> good replacement (EFI) will full legacy support. The lucky thing is: I
> still had adapters.

Maybe you should make an update of the BIOS?

> But if I look on google I find that most people recommend dosbox or
> dosemu for legacy applications. Very much don`t recommend to mess with
> DOS on new hardware. DOS compatible hardware is recommend.

Maybe DOSBOX is good, if you want to run an old game, but it is only
an emulation of old pcs to play old games which would be to fast. If
you like to use modern programs like me DOSEMU is much much better.

>>> Virtual Sound Blaster is here:
>>> VSB sources are here, Assembly:
>> (found by Spiro, thanks :-))

Thank you. I haven't known the link!

One problem is, that such drivers are big projects and not many people
have the knowledge or time to think about it and develope it. But... I
haven't also thought that there would exist XDMA or HX Extender. So
all is possible.
And I recognize that now are many new users/developers here ... this
is very good :-)

Bye
 Flo
--
Passts auf, seits vuasichtig & losst eich nix gfoin! (Kurt Ostbahn)
http://www.drdos.org - http://www.flox.at.tf