If you want to boot multiple OSs you should get real boot manager.  For
years I ran System Commander.  A couple years ago that started having
problems with OS/2 on some mother boards.  Since then I have been using
Acronis OS Selector.  It will run as many versions of DOS and W9X on a
single C primary as you have space for.  During a transition period I
had DRDOS, FREEDOS, MSDOS and two versions of W9X.  I did a similar
thing with System Commander.  I also have Acronis Disk Director which
has a boot manager as well as a partitioning tool.  It will also run
multiple versions of Win32 from a single extended.  I have never needed
more than one real primary.  None of these things cost much and they put
you in control.

DRDOS has a boot selector that will select it or one version of W9X.  I
am surprised if FREEDOS doesn't have such a thing.

Ray