A Message to FreeDOS User's List

The process of installing FreeDOS on my EEEpc.

I used a Windows Xp Professional Version 5.1.2600 Service Pack 3 Build 2600,
HP Drive Key Boot Utility found by ways of

<link>

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareDescription.jsp?swI
tem=MTX-UNITY-I23839&lang

</link>

,Memorex Traveldrive *!Warning ALL DATA is going to be erased on this
drive!* and a copy of the Balder single disk utility distribution found by
way of

<link>

http://www.ibiblio.org/pub/micro/pc-stuff/freedos/files/distributions/unoffi
cial/balder/

</link>

I'll outline the process;

Step 1.

Grab a USB Flash Disk and format it using the FAT file system. The Hp
Utility isn't going to discriminate.

I prepared my disk using the right-click, format command in the windows
explorer shell. A quick-format will suffice, or if you're gutsy and have a
full bodied Cabernet nearby, you can try for a long format. It may take a
few moments if quick format is not selected, so savor the tannins.

Step 2.

Once the format is complete, or your glass is empty (maybe the bottle),
download then run the HP Drive Key Boot Utility. Be careful! You can and may
damage other drives attached to your computer. Use caution when using this
tool. I used the floppy emulation option for my drive and the balder.img
file provided with the link above.

Step 3.

Plug in travel drive to available USB port, press escape after POST message,
and select the device from the boot menu thus booting into the Balder Image.

The Balder Image contains copies of FDISK, Command, and kernel.sys. FDisk
can mark the SSD bootable and partition to hold a FAT file system. Once
partitioned, the Command and kernel.sys can be copied to the SSD but this
does not make the system bootable. A boot manager, such a Grub4DOS was used.
A tutorial for installation found at

<link>

http://grub4dos.sourceforge.net/wiki/index.php/Grub4dos_tutorial

</link>

can be used.

Step 4.

Use DOS. The system does not have an FDconfig.sys or an autoexec.bat. This
can be good or bad, good in that FreeDOS still works without them, bad that
you won't have any drivers or other conveniences. I did manage to get USB
working using the Panasonic USBASPI.sys drivers. With a portable hard disk
and USB IDE enclosure, this makes NTFS4DOS / Symantec GHOST sing the aria of
life; yes, hard disk cloning / data backup is possible on the road.

On February 24, my EEEpc stopped worked after my backpack fell to the floor.
Now, the system will not POST and only gets as far as detecting my USB
devices.

Sadness.

Bray

PS. Eric, I will gladly test your new LBACache. Send the program and some
docs and I'll check it out. Source, too perhaps?