I have a DTK 486 with a very simple AMI bios and on
it a Dlink DE220PT nic on IRQ 12 IO 0x240.  Arachne
works fine, but fdupdate crashes.  It crashes
regardless of whether or not I choose to update a
package.  I'm using the crynwr packet collection
ne2000 driver.  I get an error about 2 near fnodes
sometimes if that helps at all.

The beta driver from Intel for their e100 works with
fdupdate on my Pentium 4 system where I am using the
0.54 version of fdupdate on both my 486 and my
Pentium 4.

I have tried loading freedos on my 486 without drivers,
that didn't help.

This 486 has four serial ports, 2 parallel ports, and
a sound blaster value card.  Short of pulling cards out,
I'm not sure how to isolate this problem.  I was
wondering if anyone else has had problems using the
crynwr ne2000 driver with fdupdate?

It would help a lot if freedos update were smart enough
to exit with a meaningful error message that tells me
what is actually wrong.  Obviously it crashes after the
do you want to update question is answered, so what is
it doing at that point?  I wish there was a debugger for
freedos update that would show me the actual instruction
that fails.

Maybe there is some caching scheme that requires a special
exception, but how would I find out?