It's starting to dawn on me that although Freedos is an
excellent choice for being able to run most old dos programs,
it's a nightmare from a network security point of view.  I
suppose there's the option of running it on top of Linux
and using Linux to control where dos can go on your network,
but I like to run Freedos natively.  I guess I have gotten
so used to Linux and Windows NT environments that I am taking
for granted security gains that exist because there is a
user context.

DOS was developed before the Internet and before network
security became a really big deal.

To make dos secure would involve adding a user context to
all the files and requiring that people log in I suppose,
but that would be very confusing and I doubt it would be
compatible.

I'm starting to realize that Dos based Windows which is not
an OS is also problematic because there's no user context.
98SE supposedly has user context, but everyone is an admin.
Is there a way to enforce user context in 98SE to keep
people from willy nilly adding accounts to get around
the security?  Short of locking up dos mode in 98SE,
people can probably hack their way past anything I'd
do.

Eric says that there is no censorship with Freedos because
everyone is an admin.  Uge!  How does one sandbox Freedos
properly short of running it on top of Linux?