>> DEVICE=C:\DEVS\RDOSUMB.COM #19 *
>> DEVICEHIGH=C:\DEVS\JEMMEX.EXE A20METHOD:FAST FRAME=E000 VERBOSE NOE801
>> NOE820 NORAM D=0 VCPI
>> DOS=UMB,HIGH
>> DEVICEHIGH=C:\DEVS\EMSDSK.EXE 4364 /c02
>>          6 file(s)        101,406 bytes
>>          0 dir(s)         325,632 bytes free
>>  Note the reported free value.
>>  It seems that FreeDOS does not work well with real-mode
>> UMBs, since EMSDSK no longer shows any problems if I rem the
>> first line in CONFIG.SYS and change the NORAM option to RAM.
>>  Looking into UMBs (when they are real-mode), I found
>> command.com there, possibly overlapping the EMS frame area.

If any UMBs (provided by RDOSUMB) overlap the EMS page frame, this is a
certain source of errors. Using your current configuration, inspect which
areas of the UMA are provided as UMB and whether any of these areas
contains or crosses segments E000h to EFFFh (where the 64 KiB large EMS
page frame is). One of the MEM options might show you the (hexadecimal)
segments and their size. (If you don't know how to look at the segment and
size values, send a list of your UMBs with these values to the list.)

>>  If I omit the FRAME option in CONFIG.SYS, then I see thismessage
>> during boot:
>>
>> *** EMS RAMdisk v1.9I (FU - 08/98): ems get frame error
>>
>>  and EMSDSK does not install. The memory map in this caseshows no
>> EMMXXXX0.

> Note that EMSDSK might be
> able to work without page EMS frame, giving you more UMB.

Apparently not. You might of course try FRAME=NONE first and see if EMSDSK
shows the same message. However many other EMS programs don't work without
page frame anyway so I won't recommend running such a system. If you don't
use any other programs that require EMS, a better option might be to
disable EMS completely (JEMM option NOEMS, and remove FRAME=) and replace
EMSDSK by XMSDSK (or the open source RDISK, which also runs with XMS).

Regards,
Christian