Hello Mike,

Thanks for writing and expressing your opinion.
In fact, I think you brought an interesting topic that is also of my
concern. When the freedos-user list was created, it was indeed created
as a list for those users that need not have knowledge about the
internals of FreeDOS itself in order to use it.
So far, the facts that I have experienced are:

(a) Much of the traffic has switched from freedos-devel to
freedos-user. In some cases it is a correct movement, as we could
seldomly see that inexperienced users asked simple FreeDOS ussage
question in a list that was supposed to be to discuss internalities of
FreeDOS development.

(b) At times, the replies are quite technical or advanced (or "geek"),
far more than the original question. At times I have tried in the past
to move those to the freedos-devel, but that proved to be helpless.

(c) In most times, a simple question produced a complex/geek answer,
but was appropriate to the geekness level that the person who asked
expected.

(d) At times, a simple question produced a complex/geek answer, that
the person who asked did not understand, but didn't dare/bother to ask
for more help.

In the understanding that there should be a chance for both types of
users, I propose the following two options: just let me know what you
think, and I'll run the administrative stuff:
(1) Create a new mailing list called "freedos-advanced" aimed to the
advanced users, and leave this one for the basic users.
(2) Create a new mailing list called "freedos-basic" aimed to the
basic users, and leave this one for the advanced users.

In both cases, I should advise that,
(a) in the basic users list, technicalities should be left appart as
much as possible, in the understanding that the user there must not
necessarily be an IT-PC-super-expert.
(b) if a user expects a more detailed answer on certain topic, (s)he
should turn to the advanced list and ask there.

The traffic should not change, as it's just more a question of knowing
the degree of detail that the user needs. And freedos-devel is not
changed/affected in any way.

Cheers,
Aitor