So, let me rephrase a bit...

Without IDLEHALT=1, it enters a loop calling int28 and with it, int28 is
called once for every Hardware interrupt (which brings out of HLT).

Please correct me if I am wrong..

But if I am right... then it probably is that that program uses int28 to
update the screen a bit at a time. This is a good way of doing a
refresh, specially in those days were CPUs were sooooo sloooow ;)

@ERIC
Could FDAPM detect IDLEHALT=1 and act accordingly? This could avoid some
future problems. Also, INHO, FDAPM could have a default that is the
fastest, leaving the better in terms of power-saving for users to tune...

Alain