Hi Eric,

I just did a few extra tests in my IBM ThinkPad 380Z to be able to
give more specific answers.

But first let me stress that, except for the two previous
remarks, Bret's keyboard driver works very reliably for me.  The
memory stick driver is even better, because it does not have
problems with FDAPM; I use it all the time.

> > Bret's USB keyboard driver worked perfectly for my two notebooks
> > (Compaq and IBM, both year 1999) and one desktop (Pentium 166).

> It is unusual that the BIOS did not already do the keyboard for you.

Without a driver, the USB keyboard will not work in my ThinkPad.

> > - There is an incompatibility with FDAPM. I forgot the details,
> > but if FDAPM is loaded, the USB keyboard does not work properly.

> Did you try FDAPM ADV:REG instead of FDAPM APMDOS? That makes the
> power saving a bit less heavy and might reduce some side effects.

Yes, I repeated the test just now. The computer crashes all by
itself 1-2 seconds after FDAUTO.BAT completes, with a JemmEx
error message.

> > MS-DOS keyb.com should be used instead of FreeDOS keyb.exe.

> Of course we cannot do that because we have no license for that.
> If you have MS DOS keyb, you probably have a MS DOS license

Indeed. I own a legal copy of MS-DOS 6.22 which was in use until
2007 when I switched to FreeDOS.

Still, I did use MS-DOS keyb.com for some time last year in order
to use an external keyboard in the ThinkPad.  However, I later
found out about the so-called "PS2 to PS2 splitter cable" which
allows a keyboard and a mouse (both PS2) to be connected to the
notebook's single PS2 connector.  No USB involved, and
FDAPM-compatible, so this is what I use now. Apparently, even
Bret himself thinks PS2 is better than USB for keyboards :-)

> However MS DOS has not had any updates for ca 15 years, many
> parts are outdated.

Of course. But I stopped using MS four years ago anyway.

> From: "Bret Johnson" <bretj...@juno.com>
> Date: Sun, 12 Sep 2010
> To: freedos-user@lists.sourceforge.net
> Subject: Re: [Freedos-user] Processor overheating under DOS
> I normally don't use FDAPM or POWER, but did a little bit of
> testing after reading this. If you load FDAPM first and then load
> my USB drivers, there is indeed a problem and the keyboard
> doesn't work properly. If you load the USB drivers first and then
> load FDAPM afterwards, everything seems to work just fine.

I just tried loading FDAPM afterwards, but it does not work in
the ThinkPad ... same crash and JemmEx error message as above.

> I myself like MKEYB by Tom Ehlert - fewer layouts and features
> but very small.

Just tried it for the first time. Same crash.

(But seems to work fine with my usual Brazilian-Portuguese PS2
keyboard.)

Regards,

Marcos

Marcos Favero Florence de Barros