On Tue, Jun 7, 2011 at 8:43 PM, Bernd Blaauw <bbla...@home.nl> wrote:
> The problem ofcourse is getting a more powerful/modern operating system
> on a internet-connected yet stand-alone machine. Resorting to making USB
> sticks bootable (any 100% way to do so?) and testing them, or getting
> SATA optical drives is such a burden.

If Linux counts as "a more powerful/modern" OS I yet haven't failed to
make a bootable USB key. It may require some brute force like wiping
the entire disk out with zeros and then start from scratch -
partitioning, putting on a MBR, formatting and eventually put Syslinux
on it.

But for updating a BIOS (Free)DOS is fine unless you have one of those
new fancy boards.

Mike