Hi Eric,

thanks for these very helpful answers.

I will ask Creative about a package to run sound in DOS.
I have tried to unzip the DOSDRV It run but told me can only be installed
under Win 95 and 98 with VXD drivers installed.
Perhaps I make a partition for such a Windows.

I have heared that the most soundcards work with an old dosdriver for SB
compatible cards.

Have fun

And between I live in Berlin^^ and speak german^^

2011/6/22 Eric Auer <e.a...@jpberlin.de>

> Hi Johannes,
>
> > I have such an audiocard, which are listed in the soundcardfile from
> MPXPLAY
> > with native hardware access.
> > My problem is I have some games, I like to try with audio, but I can´t
> make
> > it work.
>
> Like many modern soundcards, the Audigy soundcard will be AC97
> or HDA compatible. In DOS, sound drivers are part of individual
> games or media players like MPXPLAY. Your games are most likely
> from the time when SoundBlaster soundcards were standard, so it
> is not possible to use them with any card which no longer does
> support SB16 compatibility.
>
> > In the autoexec.bat I found the VIAUDIO row...
>
> VIAAUDIO is just a tool to enable the SoundBlaster compatibility
> mode of certain (mainboard onboard) soundcards and set a proper
> volume in the mixer. It only helps you in DOS because the actual
> hardware of the VIA chip already supports a SoundBlaster mode.
>
> > Could I install wget and get sound without working wget
> > (internetconnection)?
>
> You can use another computer to download the file, but as said,
> the file is only useful for exactly that VIA chip...
>
> > I have found in the internet a DOSDRV for Audigy 1, but to install
> > it I need Windows, I tried to install Windows 3.11 on FreeDos drive
> > but after installation the Windows try to start but my PC falls to
> > sleep and nothing happens. And on Win7 x64 I can´t work with most
> > 32bit applications.
>
> That is a common and very annoying problem. Some possibilities:
>
> - ask somebody with an old Windows version to unpack DOSDRV for you
> - try if UNZIP or 7ZIP can unzip the DOSDRV installer directly
> - run the DOSDRV installer in Wine in Linux or maybe in ReactOS
>
> To comment on the issue with Windows for Workgroups 3.11 in FreeDOS:
> This is a very widespread but very unusual version of Windows 3, as
> it only works in "386enh" mode. That mode only works if Windows can
> encapsulate DOS into a multitasking bubble. The support for that is
> experimental in FreeDOS. Using Windows 3.0 or 3.1 in standard mode
> is probably easier. You can also try the "safe mode" equivalent of
> WfW 3.11, but be aware that as in Win95 and Win98, this is a quite
> limited mode as most WfW 3.11 drivers only come in 386enh style.
>
> Note that all old versions of Windows also have problems if you
> have more than 256 MB of RAM, but can be made to work with up to
> 1 GB of RAM with tricks (reduce overcommit / swap). If you have
> even more RAM, you have to tell your HIMEMX or XMGR or JEMMEX to
> ignore the rest of your RAM so Windows does not get overwhelmed.
>
> > Result: MPXPLAY works with the Audiocard in DOS very fine, good
> > sound up to 999pitch in 15 seconds^^ so I think
>
> Yes, MPXPLAY has very nice drivers for modern soundcards :-)
>
> > an emulation could emulate a normally Soundblaster driver
> > for that working soundsupport from MPXPLAY

> [...]

höhö:D