Hi,

On 7/5/11, Eric Auer <e.a...@jpberlin.de> wrote:

>>> While Unicode is huge, DOS keyboard layouts tend to be limited to
>>> Latin and Cyrillic and some other symboly which is a tiny subset.
>>
>> Well, determining which "subset" (for us) is the main problem.
>
> You could start using RECODE (DJGPP port if you like) and
> convert all DOS keyboard layouts that you can find

Honestly, I'm not sure of the exact functional difference between
Iconv and Recode since I never used both heavily, but I'm 99.99% sure
that the Recode port is broken (literally doesn't work at all,
crashes), last I checked.

>>> charsets like ASCII or Latin need only 1-2 bytes while you can
>>> still encode up to 31 bits: U+07FF still fits 2 bytes and all
>>> 16 bit chars need only 3 bytes, the rest is very rare...

I don't know, I thought I heard that a lot of Hindi and Chinese users
were mad that it wasted so many bytes for them. Maybe I'm wrong
(probably!) as I don't know anybody personally.

BTW, that reminds me, remember that Hindi / FreeDOS distro package? It
had Unicode support for Hindi !! I know you remember, and I bookmarked
it somewhere (years ago).

EDIT: Here it is:

http://hindawi.in/en_US/faq.php

> Of course CJK people might still prefer then-smaller UTF-16?

Right.

> Of course [DPMI] it will not work with apps which write to b800:xyz,
> so trapping and redirecting that would be the bonus exercise
> but I think I even did that in real mode once. Not as a real
> trap but keeping 128 kB of graphics RAM from a000 to bfff on
> and periodically checking b800:xyz for changes which would
> then be rendered with a font as graphics. Very long ago ;-)

Well, the main weird bit I was thinking of was that most DPMI hosts
don't support the TSR part (optional?), and the one example I remember
seeing couldn't unload and was quite "big" (relative to most tiny
TSRs).   :-/