I am actually running FreeNAS right now.  I really like it but I am not
happy with the filesystem it uses.  If the server dies, I can't pop one of
the hard drives into a windows box to pull the files off.  DOS is reliable,
and will run forever.  I have always loved DOS and thought it would be a fun
project.