From Garry
http://creativeminds.webege.com
http://creativeminds.webege.com/phpBB3/index.php

________________________________

Message: 3
Date: Tue, 13 Sep 2011 19:00:03 -0500
From: "Michael B. Brutman" <mbbrut...@brutman.com>
Subject: [Freedos-user] Heads up: "DOS ain't dead" forum is closing
To: freedos-user@lists.sourceforge.net,
    freedos-de...@lists.sourceforge.net

Here is the link to the announcement:

http://www.bttr-software.de/forum/forum_entry.php?id=10488

To me this is a serious problem - losing a piece of the DOS community is
bad.  Losing the place where a lot of the programmers hang out is even
worse.

Mike

------------------------------

Message: 4
Date: Tue, 13 Sep 2011 17:10:45 -0700
From: "Michael C. Robinson" <plu...@robinson-west.com>
Subject: Re: [Freedos-user] Heads up: "DOS ain't dead" forum is
    closing
To: freedos-user@lists.sourceforge.net

On Tue, 2011-09-13 at 19:00 -0500, Michael B. Brutman wrote:
> Here is the link to the announcement:
>
> http://www.bttr-software.de/forum/forum_entry.php?id=10488
>

> To me this is a serious problem - losing a piece of the DOS community is
> bad.  Losing the place where a lot of the programmers hang out is even
> worse.
>

> Mike
Look at it this way, it is extremely hard to support modern hardware in
a DOS style environment because DOS allowed application programs to use
hardware directly.  Jim Hall has said himself that he has limited
interest in the GUI end and most people think a Windows 3.11 Workgroups
compatible GUI is too much work.  DOS is fast, but Linux stripped down
properly is also fast.  DOS is great for playing old games, and there
are some popular applications for it.  Thing is, DOS doesn't make sense
at all in the multicore era as a primary operating system.  DOS was
needed when the personal computer wasn't powerful enough to support a
more sophisticated operating system.  I'd say that Freedos has it's
uses, but without active development on a variant that can take
advantage of multiple cores and modern hardware, there are probably a
dwindling number of uses for it.  Without hardware protection and memory
protection, Freedos is certainly fast but probably not acceptable to
everyone.
From Garry: Realizeing Dos is not acceptable to every one, that dose not
matter, for those that find Dos acceptable,..and to help continue "active
developement",..I invite anyone to share on this site:
http://creativeminds.webege.com/phpBB3/index.php
From Garry