Quoting Bernd Blaauw <bbla...@home.nl>:

> Is your machine on the internet or did you perform some router port
> forwarding magic? I've always wanted to do that, however router software
> isn't that cooperative usually.

The machine is behind a firewall and the firewall is setup to forward
incoming requests on port 2021 to the machine.  An additional block of
ports (around 2000) are being forwarded to support incoming data
connections used for directory listings and file transfers.  (These
are the additional connections you get when the client is in PASV mode.)

Normally a firewall snoops port 21 for traffic to figure out what
traffic should be allowed to pass freely, but my ISP blocks 21 forcing
me to use a non-standard port that no firewall knows to look for.

On a slightly related note, the PCjr is still up and running and
waiting for your call!  It has had 479 FTP sessions started in the
last 2 days; traffic has been much slower today though.  If you've
visited once, come back and try again - the more concurrent traffic it
gets the better the code gets tested.  The address is 96.42.66.188,
port 2021.

-Mike