On Mon, Dec 26, 2011 at 9:52 AM, Tiago O. de Almeida
<toacyanide...@yahoo.com.br> wrote:
> Are there any hints to install FreeDOS inside a Qemu box? I'm trying this
> right now, but the installation process is damn slow. This is the Qemu
> command line:
>
> qemu -cdrom ~/.qemu/fdbasecd.iso -hda ~/.qemu/freedos.img -boot
> order=c,once=d -m 31M -k pt-br -soundhw sb16 -M pc -smp 1 -cpu pentium -name
> FreeDOS -sdl
>
> I've tried several values to -cpu, including qemu32/64, pentium, 486,
> core2duo; and also raise the -m value up to default (128M).

QEMU is a full emulator, but sometimes emulators can run quite slow.
I'd just let the install process take as long as it needs to; you'll
only need to do that once. It should be fine after that.

If you have the option, you can also do a "manual install" of FreeDOS
by unzipping each of the install packages (which are just
specially-crafted zip files) into the C:\FDOS directory. This won't
install the kernel in a bootable way, but I think you can run SYS from
the installation CDROM. This should be faster, albeit a more manual
process.

-jh