>> I encourage you to look around for what's there, and see if you can
>> move any of them forward. OpenGEM shows a lot of promise, but the
>> graphics are dated and could use a refresh. Since it's GNU GPL, I
>> imagine you could borrow from another GPL'd desktop environment, such
>> as GNOME.
>
> I don't think neither that this is feasible nor that this would make
> too much sense. GNOME (or KDE, Xfce, <insert your favorite Linux
> window manager of the day here> for that matter) are all just like X
> Windows from their structure Unix/Linux based. Trying to force that
> on a single tasking DOS, with limited resources probably requires
> more resources/work than trying to somewhat modernize GEM.

I should have been more clear. I meant to suggest reusing graphics elements
(icons) from Gnome to refresh the look of OpenGEM. I didn't mean to suggest
borrowing code from Gnome to update functionality of OpenGEM. As you said,
these come from totally different architectural backgrounds, so straight-up
reuse of code is not a good use of time.

I had a conversation along these lines with Shane once, about the graphics, and
he pointed me to a dev tool in OpenGEM that would convert graphics for use as
GEM icons. I think it's been there since OpenGEM5.

jh