> Op 29-1-2012 12:21, Bertho Grandpied schreef:

>> Hard Disk -- USB (4K sectors) -- DOS with "usbaspi.sys" (ASPI manager) --
>> "didd1000.sys" (ASPI to DOS converter)
(...)
>> The ASPI to DOS converter is the part that has to
> adapted, or else redone from scratch. I mm using Novac's
> excellent DIDD1000.SYS as a reference, unfortunately as
> distributed that assumes 512 byte sectors for hard disks.

>  From scratch would be most likely, I guess Brett's USB
> drivers could
> work as a foundation for that, as he mentions int13 (and
> fdisk) support.

We'll hear from Bret again I hope. I don't know if he has a separate SCSI
emulation layer or rather a monolithic approach.

> Not possessing an UHCI controller, I've got no way of
> experimenting.
> Finding and purchasing such a controller also seems to get
> challenging.

That, and the lack of EHCI (and higher) speeds is the problem of course with
solution based on Bret's present drivers. He has already stated he's currently
working on OHCI/UHCI.

On the other hand, the USB interface problem is already resolved satisfactorily
by USBASPI.SYS (several versions) - at least OHCI/UHCI/EHCI-

The USBASPI.SYS I have been using (a Chinese? "Yaya DIY" hacked Panasonic
version 2.27) works well and has no problems dealing with 4K sectors.

Hence in this thread I proposed one should concentrate on the part which
doesn't work yet with 4K sectors, the ASPI to DOS conversion : the part played
by  Motto Hairu or Novac"s DIDD1000.SYS, or several similar.

(...)
>>  It is my understanding, in vague terms, that most
>> stringent "anti reverse engineering" laws allow for
>> independent fixes and enhancements to IP protected code, but
>> IANAL.

> I don't know about fixes and enhancements, but USA's DMCA
> aside, usually
> the cleanest way of writing another implementation of some
> piece of
> software is to use "cleanroom reverse-engineering":
> * 1st team studies/disassembles/debugs and documents the
> program into a
> specification.
> * 2nd team creates a piece of software out of this
> specification

Ideally, yes. But how do we DOS lovers recruit and feed those teams ?

--
Czerno