Am 20.05.2012 um 22:40 schrieb dmccunney:

>> Am 20.05.2012 um 20:15 schrieb dmccunney:
>>> The number of
>>> people trying to run FreeDOS under Virtual Box can probably be counted
>>> on the fingers of two hands with change left over.
>
> I never said they weren't.  I said very *few* were.  It may well be
> more than ten.  It might even be more than 100, though I'd be a bit
> surprised.

Wow. That's a lot of fingers on your hands... :-)

>> Of course to the developers of VirtualBox those people are a minority, so
>> known bugs aren't fixed very fast or not fixed at all.
>
> Perhaps because they *are* a minority.  Developer time is the scarce
> resource, and bugs likely will get prioritized by the number of people
> they effect.

You are right and we don't have any disagreement here.

> All bugs are not created equal

That's a nice line! :-)

>> The question is if those users should be more valuable to the FreeDOS
>> developers / FreeDOS community.
>
> I assume the FreeDOS community considers all users of value.  I'm not
> sure how having FreeDOS under Virtual Box users seen as more valuable
> to the FreeDOS developers/FreeDOS community addresses the issue of
> problems running FreeDOS under Virtual Box, unless it's possible to
> add code to FreeDOS to work better with Virtual Box and/or work around
> Virtual Box bugs..

Two examples where more such code is needed:

- The timeout problem of the PIIX3 chipset to the UIDE initialization attempt.
(Effect: Booting FreeDOS takes 3 minutes)
- More FreeDOS programs should be "FDAPM-aware" (which would avoid VirtualBox
running the host CPU with 100 percent).

Maybe it would also be a good idea to have an _official_ FreeDOS image for
VirtualBox, where problems are already addressed and the correct drivers with
the correct switches are loaded? It could be linked to from the FreeDOS
homepage.

At the moment users can choose between downloading one of several unofficial
FreeDOS VirtualBox images in the internet (mostly FreeDOS 1.0 and most of them
are not in any way adapted to VirtualBox) or to do a fresh install with the
official software and have problems afterwards.

Ulrich