On Wed, 23 May 2012 09:22:03 Jack <...@earthlink.net> wrote :
> Subject: Re: [Freedos-user] Virtual floppy change problem

> You are WRONG, Tom!!

Is he ? or are you being RUDE, Jack ?

> UIDE has NEVER ignored if a diskette has change-line support!   It
> does in fact check the BIOS data table at 0:448h for bit 0 (change
> line for diskette A:) or bit 4 (change line for diskette B:).   If
> those bits are off, diskette A: or diskette B: will not be
> cached.

Not Tom, but I'd like to learn from /what exact source/ you got the definition
for those bits. They are not universal, and we need look no further for why
UIDE floppy caching may fail. Does that reference state that it applies to
IBM-PC, PC-XT, PC-AT, PS2... or maybe some BIOSes of some particular brand
and/or period ?

In any case BIOS data byte [40:48] is /not/ documented in Ralf Brown's files,
nor is it in Michael Tischer's book (other than HD/FD related). I have the
source listing for a Goupil G5 BIOS ca. 1990 (a very faithful, and one of the
rare "authorised by IBM", PC-AT clones) - those bits aren't used for disk
change lines. An authentic IBM AT BIOS is accessible on the net, I haven't
found the need for fetching it, someone might check there also.

/Possibly/ those bits were defined as floppy line flags in the PS2
'compatibility' RM BIOS , I have no idea - having checked a PS2 technical
manual which unfortunately doesn't have the BDA details.

Now, puhlease! don't feel accused - I'm sure you did not make those bits up and
that they work in your test machines and even for the bulk of your users . That
you wait for users' complaints before checking the soundness of your
assumptions is another question entirely. You are entitled to choose any method
that works on recent gear if you find it convenient. But rather than pretending
to support floppies on the whole range of DOS-capable PCs, and claiming that
those that do not conform to your model are junk (or is it the users' fault ?)
- you /must/ find a way to programmatically assert that your far from universal
method /will/ work and take measures otherwise. IMHO you can't leave it to the
(clueless, always...) user to assert his or her PC is not conforming to UIDE's
model.

Regards

--
Czerno