Hi!

> don't know how else to say it: Windows is crap for DOS compatibility.

Thats about the only way to say it :) Vista dropped support for fullscreen
mode, and I can't imagine support has improved in Windows 7.

> but the only "DOS" [sic] apps that still ship with 32-bit Windows that
> I can recall are:   edit (circa 1995), debug and edlin (circa 1991). I

IIRC NT 4.0 included some DOS 5.0 utilities and programs (including edit,
debug, etc).  Actually, sometime after this,
microsoft created a new version of edit that doesn't require qbasic. As far as
I know, these are still shipped with 32-bit
  windows, minus qbasic for some reason.

Jeffrey