> No, not by default.  According to the "official" documentation (e.g.,
> the MS-DOS on-line HELP utility), you only need SHARE in a network or
> multi-tasking environment, which doesn't apply to my current situation.

Then the particular problem in question is generally not a reason to
prefer MS-DOS, because whenever you do not load their respective "SHARE"
extensions then both the MS-DOS and the FreeDOS kernel are /designed/ to
allow possible file corruption in this and more cases (which by the way I
would agree to classify as a major problem, not a side issue).

Or in other words, the official documentation is bad. Unsurprisingly so.

Regards,
Chris