Hi,

On Mon, Sep 17, 2012 at 9:21 PM, Ralf A. Quint <free...@gmx.net> wrote:
> At 04:48 PM 9/17/2012, Karen Lewellen wrote:
>
>>Granted, I am a media professional, so facts especially n the Internet
>>are important.
>>the fact is ms dos 7.1 under wind 98 had fat 32, even Dr dos in 99 has it.
>
> The fact is that there never was a "MS-DOS 7.1", it just happened
> that the underlying DOS mode of Windows 95B intensified itself with
> that version. As mentioned, MS-DOS 6.22 was the last official version
> of MS-DOS.

(I hate legalese, so I dislike bringing this up, but ...)

Again, this was purely marketing, not technical, as MS wanted to
exclusively bundle their DOS with Windows. With (very creaky) shims,
DR-DOS was said to be able to boot Win95 (and proved such in court),
but no such patches were ever officially released. MS didn't really
want to encourage competitor DOSes to run Windows.

On a semi-related note, I think you can boot Win 3.x inside DOSEMU,
DOSBox, etc. Even Mike Chambers' Fake86 can (mostly) boot it. There
may even be some experimental support on some of those for booting
Win9x, but since that's uninteresting to me, I've never delved deeper.

(While I don't personally care for Windows, I do wish FreeDOS had 100%
Windows-friendly internals compatibility, but it's not the end of the
world, I guess. We'd need more developers to test anyways, and old
Windows aren't exactly easily found [or worth the money, perhaps].)

> And DR-DOS never officially supported FAT32 either, the last version
> of "DR-DOS" was 6.0, released in 1991, followed by Novell DOS 7.0 in
> December 1993.
> Any FAT32 support for it only exists in some 3party support for an
> unofficially maintained version of the later Caldera OpenDOS 7.x...

Caldera / Lineo / DeviceLogics / DR-DOS Inc. were the ones selling
7.03 (finalized circa late 1998, early 1999), which I bought online
some years ago. Indeed, it lacked any "kernel" functionality regarding
LFNs or FAT32, hence you were limited to 8 GB (four primary FAT16
partitions of 2 GB each). And BTW, IIRC that would be 16 kb clusters,
which is incredibly wasteful, blech.

MS-DOS / Win9x forced you to install in the very beginning of the hard
drive. DR-DOS can install in subsequent partitions but has some weird
limit regarding mounting and seeing previous partitions. FreeDOS is
the most flexible in that it can see and use anything. (But I've not
tested all the billions of other DOS variants!) So it's not like
MS-DOS is perfect, but obviously it was the target most people wrote
for in ye olde days.

Different DOSes also have different speed and overall RAM
requirements, among billions of other details (mostly inconsequential
unless you're a trivia buff), though I admit I don't have any concrete
details offhand.   ;-)