>       Is DosEmu actually capable of working with Portuguese
>       diacritics and supporting a standard Brazilian keyboard in
>       the first place?

It's probably possible, but it might require configuring dosemu more, or
maybe even patching dosemu's source.

>       And if DosEmu can't do it, would dual boot (Grub) be a
>       good idea? I read the announcement in July that Grub 2.00
>       supports FreeDOS.

GRUB 2 indeed supports loading FreeDOS, which just means you can directly
specify the kernel.sys file to load instead if needing to chainload a
FreeDOS boot sector. With the current kernel and current GRUB versions,
you still need to install FreeDOS into a primary partition, though.

>       Again, would dual boot be a good idea? If so, what could I
>       use? Metakern?

GRUB is possible, too.

> My personal preference would be dual boot, but I wonder whether
> it would bring its own problems. Those are other people's
> computers, which I don't want to mess up.

In older PCs, idling was not regarded as necessary; with 1990s and more
recent (powerful) CPUs proper idling is important.

Therefore you should enable the idlehalt= setting in the FreeDOS kernel's
config, and/or load FDAPM with some setting. [One of them might suffice,
but using both shouldn't be particularly harmful even if unnecessary.]
"fdapm apmdos" (optionally prepend "lh ") should result in the highest
savings (though it might decrease performance a bit).

Failure to enable proper idling will cause one CPU (that is at least one
core on multi-core CPUs) to permanently be 100% loaded in polling loops,
wasting energy and heating up the CPU a lot. Even with FDAPM and such,
some applications' polling loops disable idling - custom patching might be
necessary to implement proper idling then.

Regards,
Chris