Hi!
Long time no see. I’d like to mention my POV anyways.

Why use a Unix-like structure?

In DOS, everything is where you want to put it.
Configuration files traditionally reside in the same directory where the actual
program that uses it is located. If not, it has its own structure (like
complex programs, games).

What I would like:
SYSDRV=C:
APPSDRV=%SYSDRV
GAMESDRV=%SYSDRV
DATADRV=D:
DOSDIR=%SYSDRV%\DOS
GAMESDIR=%GAMESDRV%\GAMES
APPSDIR=%APPSDRV%\APPS

For all the _binaries_ this would result in the following:

In %DOSDIR, everything that comes out-of-the-box with the DOS distribution
goes, like the system files (FORMAT.EXE, SYS.EXE etc.) – it kind of is, what
would be in C:\WINDOWS and C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM[32] on a Windows system and in
\bin, \sbin (and propably \lib) on a Unix system.

==> Thus, all DOS stuff would be in C:\DOS

In %APPSDIR I’d put every optional application in its own directory %pkgname,
like a word editor, vi, a paint program, even ViewMAX/OpenGEM and the-like.

==> Thus, OpenGEM would be in C:\APPS\GEM

The problem is, that there are a lot of small DOS programs, that don’t need
their own directory. For those, I suggest a “miscellaneous” section that I
would name %APPSDIR%\BIN.

==> Thus, a small (non-FreeDOS distribution) program, like TDE (Thomson Davis
Editor: TDE.EXE, older version that ran with TDE.CFG and nothing else) would
be in C:\APPS\BIN.

The games go to %GAMESDIR%\%pkgname.

==> Thus, Ultima Underworld II would be in C:\GAMES\UW2.

For (optional) _documentation_ I suggest, where applicable:

DOCDRV=%SYSDRV
DOCDIR=%DOCDRV%\DOC

==> Thus, the OpenGEM documentation would be in C:\DOC\GEM.

For (optional) _source files_ I suggest:

SRCDRV=%SYSDRV
SRCDIR=%SRCDRV%\SRC

If needed, the sources of the program would go into %SRCDIR\%pkgname.

Last but not least, _development stuff_ would go into:

DEVDRV=%SYSDRV
DEVDIR=%DEVDRV%\DEV

I would set this to DEVDIR=%DEVDRV, because this would get me Borland Pascal
into C:\PASCAL, which I appreciate very much. But then, Pascal was the _only_
programming language I every /played/ with. But, you get the point.

Some optional system stuff, like DOS4GW and the-like, I’d put into $DOSDIR
directly.

How is that?
Cheers,
Andreas.