On 2012-11-11 20:01 (GMT-0500) Karen Lewellen composed:

> Eleni wants to leave windows behind for a
> variety of reasons.  She will have to decide what is more important for her,
> multitasking, as indeed Dr dos 7.03  includes as a part of its structure,
> or a large hard drive, which cannot be achieved with it.

Maybe I missed it, but I haven't seen proof 7.03 cannot coexist with a
"large" HD. Is it a lack of FAT32/>2GB partition support? That's her obstacle?

If not, it could be that the only obstacle is her installation methodology.
What size HD does she have in that Dell laptop? What partitioning would she
prefer to have? Possibly I could do what she ultimately wants, then describe
how to do it. I too have a Dell laptop with a PIII CPU. And, if I can find
the floppies and they still work, I have Novell DOS 7 also.

Does she have or have access to DesqView 386? DV is how I multitasked before
switching to OS/2 Warp. It didn't care about the DOS version, though I have
no recollection of the limitations it has if not also using QEMM, which gave
me all sorts of trouble working on new at the time hardware.

Maybe what could meet her needs is OS/2 or eCS. Last century at least they
were always better at multitasking DOS apps than DOS ever could hope to be.
OS/2 as eComStation is currently available to run on modern hardware, though
the license is anything but cheap. A laptop old enough to be running a PIII
is likely to function with an old Warp 4 version off eBay or Craigslist.

The other responders may be right. The easiest route may be Linux and
VirtualBox and/or DOSEMU.

Felix Miata  ***  http://fm.no-ip.com/