On 2012-11-12 15:15 (GMT-0500) Karen Lewellen composed:

> Let me be more clear since you may have missed this.  gives me a chance to
> share a source for utilities.
> we tried using many from the ultimate boot cd,

> www.ultimatebootcd.com

I use it for several things, but partitioning is not among them.

> Including both ranish partition manager andgparted as suggested.
> All  of these tools are modern, start creating the partitions from the
> front of the disk as in cylinder 0, and all of
> our efforts
> always to create less than 8 gig of partition from the front.  In fact in
> order to create the required fat 16 primary partition it must be less than
> 2 gig at the front of the disk.
> I do agree about using Dr dos's fdisk, which is why we tried so many
> other ones.

Sometimes what you get for free is worth exactly what you paid for it. I only
use non-free DFSee (usable on 30 day trial for free) for my partitioning. It
runs exactly the same on DOS, Windows, OS/2, Linux and Mac, and its
partitions are also cross-platform compatible. If you don't want to try it
yourself, I suggest if you haven't already to try Parted Magic.

I repartitioned once more with DFSee to ensure all partitions on the 30G HD
were below about 7.5GiB thus:

  FAT16 pri 2037.6M
  FAT16 log 1801.4M
  FAT16 log 1801.4M
  FAT16 log 1801.4M

Next I booted a PC DOS 2000 floppy and did:

  format C: /s
  format D:
  format E:
  format F:

PC DOS 2000 (aka PC DOS Version 7.0, Revision 1) now boots from HD, and I'm
able to change to any of the 4 drives. PC DOS FDISK reports all correctly.

With larger partitions leaving F: partly lying above the 8G limit, attempting
to do anything with F: produced invalid drive specification.

I expect DR DOS 7.3 should behave as well partitioned similarly.

Felix Miata  ***  http://fm.no-ip.com/