From:   Bernd Blaauw <bbla...@home.nl>
Date:   Thu, 20 Dec 2012 21:28:55 +0100
> 'Drive' is a typical DOS terminology, meaning partition/volume, thus
> sda1 etc. It's used as 'Drive C:'. Basically referring to everything
> which has a driveletter assigned (floppy, harddisk, cdrom, network
> shares, etc).

Well that was OK when diskettes were the only rotating media.  Usually
a diskette wasn't partitioned.  "Part" and "volume" were synonymous.
Where a hard disk drive is involved, "drive" should mean "hard disk drive"
and "part" should mean "part of a hard disk drive".  When software
says it will "format the drive" I want to be sure it doesn't mean "format
the whole hard disk drive".  Unambiguous terminology really does help.

I had hoped to run FreeDOS on the OLPC XO-1.5 but it is no simple problem.
http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Talk:Our_software

Regards,            ... Peter E.

--
123456789 123456789 123456789 123456789 123456789 123456789 123456789 12
Tel +13606390202  Bcc: peasthope at shaw.ca  http://carnot.yi.org/