Windows 98 sort of running on top of a DOS system doesn't work with
ipxwrapper-0.4.0.  There is an error that iplphapi.dll can't be found
or something similar.  Turns out, this DLL probably doesn't show up
till Windows 2000.  So the thought of using Windows 98 boxes and
Windows 7 boxes together goes out the Window.  A game that was
originally run from the DOS command line if I'm not mistaken can't
be run from Windows 98SE when Windows 7 is the master server.  Yikes!

Hmm, I guess I could run 2000 instead even though the computer is only
a K6-2 500 and I'd probably have to search for SIS 530 W2K video
drivers.  Don't have a legal 2nd copy of 2000, but there doesn't seem to
be a legal way to solve this.  There are a lot of games that aren't
DOS games and aren't NT games.  Windows 98 in my opinion is a sort
of aberration, Microsoft should have skipped Windows 9x in favor of
bringing everyone into an NT environment sooner.

I'm sure there is a dos driver for my Realtek 8139 10/100 network card.
But ipxwrapper is intended for NT and HX probably won't run Warcraft II.

I'd love something legal that isn't the full blown Windows 98SE to run
games like Warcraft II and Diablo II that are in that transitional
period.  I just hope that the ReactOS developers get something stable
put together soon.

I have a Windows XP Home upgrade kit, it is in use though.  I'm worried
that XP won't even run on this old machine, but I guess stripped down I
can get away with it.  Sadly, XP phones home so Microsoft will know that
I'm running it illegally.

What is needed is a protected mode DOS like Windows 98SE, but much
lighter, that can run directx 6 or so and do the ipxwrapper trick.