I was the gent Dennis McC mentions having Puppy Linux running in an old
machine in the thread "Install basic Puppy on a computer with 16 Mb
RAM". After about a year I'd migrated that 430CDS Satellite Pro fully to
FreeDOS, in a hobby project I mentioned earlier on this forum as
"FreeDOS4Kids". That machine now has 48Mb RAM, but has lost the LCD
screen to a cactus inverter or bulb - I haven't had time to find out.
Works fine hooked to an external monitor. I have Ronald Blankendaal's
"Access" GUI as the games launcher, and the whole show launches straight
into the games in seconds. ("Pepper's Adventures in Time", "Another
World", "Albion", "Prince of Persia", "WarCraft", "DiscWorld", "Dune II"
are currently favoured games.) Just some tweaking with CD configuration,
memory management issues for various DOS games to go. It's a
work-in-progress...

Now very recently I *finally* acquired a 44-pin IDE adapter for a 16GB
SD-card, to replace the original 1358MB PATA. This was done for greater
performance, cooler running etc. Avoided the CF-card route, thanks also
to earlier discussions in this forum. Now all my searches suggested that
the latest BIOS for that Toshiba would handle the FreeDOS 1.1
installation from CD, and even despite scaling back to a 2GB SD card,
and trying a similar install on a 196MB RAM Portege 3480CT - I still ran
into problems (Very difficult getting around the PCMCIA CD-drive issue
in the latter case). Even formatting the hard drive via the early instal
steps on the CD failed to There were some unusual, but mostly cosmetic
error messages returned that didn't appear with the installation of
FreeDOS 1.0. I made notes - misplaced during the Christmas buzz - but
can dig them out again if anyone wants.

After some trial-and-error I realized that I was missing a bootloader
all along. I installed GRUB4DOS and away I go now - but for the install
of a single OS, Grub etc shouldn't be normally required? Is there a
bootloader stage in the latest install process that has been omitted
somehow? I wasn't able to install FreeDOS 1.1 from the CD, but I cloned
the original PATA drive to the 2GB SD with no further issue. So I have
just a few requests for the installation process as a FreeDOS user:
1) clearer instructions on how to do the "copy CD onto HD" route for
installation. There's info buried in the ISO, but I only found it once,
2) some installation workarounds for the "if you have a PCMCIA
cd-rom...", and
3) improved format /system HD / bootloader process.
That's about all the feedback I have for the time being. Apologies if
some of the above issues have been addressed elsewhere and I've skimmed
over it,

Thanks, and
Happy New Year

--