Hi,

On Thu, Feb 14, 2013 at 6:40 PM, dmccunney <dennis.mccun...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 14, 2013 at 7:15 PM, Ray Davison <ray...@charter.net> wrote:
>
>> Is there something like this in FD?
>>
>> IF NOT EXIST X:\ZZZ MD X:\ZZZ
>>
>> Everything in front of the MD is ignored, and there is an error if
>> X:\ZZZ does exist.
>
> IF NOT EXIST X:\ZZZ\NUL MD X:\ZZZ should do what you want.

For completeness (though someone correct me if I'm remembering
incorrectly), this hack is a typical DOS idiom, but ...

1). It doesn't work under WinXP's CMD.EXE (etc.)
2). DR-DOS' shell prefers "direxist"
3). 4DOS supports both "direxist" and "isdir"

Timo Salmi had some good .BAT (and .CMD) FAQs back in the day. I
should really email him to ask him for permission to mirror them (not
sure if they are technically free/libre or not), esp. since Garbo went
kaput. EDIT: Err, maybe not.   :-(

http://lipas.uwasa.fi/~ts/garbo.html
http://www.netikka.net/tsneti/info/tscmd.php

"
An important note to Garbo repository users: The workstation hosting
the Garbo repository at the University of Vaasa, Finland has broken
down during 2012. The university's Computer Centre has informed me
that it will not be replaced. Thus all the potentially remaining
direct references to the utilities at Garbo in this FAQ are out of
date.

However, tscmd.zip continues to be available, now at a private ISP
address. You may freely download it for your own, private purposes.
But contrary to some past Garbo exceptional arrangements, I do not
give permissions to mirroring, that is carrying my materials for
downloading at other locations. (I am retired, fully served, since
September 2011. I now say routinely no to all requests.)
"

Well, no huge loss, as long as he still mirrors it online.