I have a single 40GB disk and I need its first partition for other
purposes, so I want to install FreeDOS on the second partition of the
disk (that's the last 1GB of the disk, BTW). The process seems to be
the same as if chose the first partition, but when I'm finished,
FreeDOS won't boot. It will boot indeed if I install it on the first
partition.

Regarding the boot method, I honestly don't know the differences
between the boot methods presented at the end of the installation
process. I've chosen between 1 and 2, with no results (I haven't tried
3 and 4).

Is it possible to install FreeDOS on the second partition at all or is
it mandatory to use the first partition? If it's possible, what do I
have to do to make it boot?

Thanks for any help.