Hi,

On Thu, May 16, 2013 at 6:48 PM, Marcos Favero Florence de Barros
<fav...@mpcnet.com.br> wrote:

> I got an old laptop with Windows 2000 Professional (NT). I will
> now change the file system to FAT16, and install FreeDOS.

Can't you dual boot?? I'm fairly sure you can. (Presumably some local
Win2k expert like rr could give some advice, heh.) Search Google for
"boot.ini" or such. I think all you need is a DOS boot sector (maybe
"sys /bootonly" ??).

> However, before erasing Windows, I'm wondering whether there are
> files, such as drivers or some such thing, which I should keep
> in order to use with FreeDOS.
>
> Would such drivers for Windows be of any use in FreeDOS? If so,
> which ones?

Maybe MSVCRT.DLL, assuming it's installed there, and some others
(EDIT: OPENGL32.DLL ?? GLU32.DLL ?? WNASPI32.DLL ??). Check HX
compatibility docs (and the unofficial DR-DOS online wiki) for a list
of potentially useful .DLLs.

Other than that, no, I can't think of anything, but I'd not advise to
wipe everything unless you *really* don't need it.

BTW, I don't suppose you have install discs, but if so you could
always reinstall it to boot atop FAT32. At least, any Windows before
Vista could still do so. Granted, allegedly less security, less file
system features supported, etc. But at least then you wouldn't be
stuck rely on third-party stuff (TestDisk?) to read NTFS or having to
reboot every time you want to copy a file.

P.S. Actually, some people say that Win2k was pretty similar to XP,
and thus it was "mostly" DOS friendly (NTVDM) re: DJGPP stuff. I know
it's old and lots of Windows apps (cruelly) don't support it anymore
(including MSVC), but some people (e.g. CWS) swear by it (lower
footprint, no need to phone home, etc). Well, whatever, I guess it all
depends on what you're trying to do, how much self-sacrifice you're
willing to endure, etc.  :-))