I want to update system BIOS using USB Flash. The USB drive has grub2
installed, I use it as a rescue drive & I can add menu items however I
like. I am able to boot into FreeDOS from grub2 this way:
   linux16 (hd0,1)/boot/memdisk raw
   linux16 (hd0,1)/boot/FDOEM.144

When I boot into FreeDOS, only the contents of the mem-loaded image file
(FDOEM.144) are visible. All the tutorials I have found confirm this
behaviour by instructions to add BIOS-update-files into the FDOEM.144 file,
so that the BIOS update files become available in the memory-file
environment.

MY QUESTION: Would it be possible to provide access from the FreeDOS
mem-file environment
to a folder on the USB drive? This way, one would boot into FreeDOS from
grub2, chdir to the folder route defined in the FreeDOS config.sys (?) and
run the dos-biosupdate.exe. If this is possible, one would just copy the
BIOS files into the defined folder and be done with it. Instead, with
current definitions one mnust loop-mount FDOEM.144, copy the BIOS files
into a sub-folder, unmount FDOEM.144 and copy it to the USB drive.

Hoping I made sense here...