After a long pause (since late 90:eens) I started again
with Autocad. R9 for DOS which I consider the best ever made
in 2D/2.5D CAD. (that is mainly explained by excellent
digitizer tablet use....)
  Shortly... it works. JEMM386 was needed, without it
Autocad was somewhat unreliable, it crashed often, no data
loss thought. Most problems was solved, one by one, and the first
PCB-layouts are now accomplished by using my component libraries,
just to mention some. And yes, general CAD do have some advantages
over dedicated PCB-CADs on limited designs.
  Some weird behaviour still causes troubles and I'll report
them as my experience increases to better define these. For now
I am searching a solution to strange speed dependency of serial port
data flow. Responce to many commands are extremely slow unless I
"refresh" the computer by RS232 output (input to computer) by rubbing
the surfce of tablet with digitizer pen. Program acceleration is
readily seen according to swipe velocity of pen. When sweeping the
tablet surface it sends position data to serial port maybe max. some
hundreds of points per second. Beyond certain speed the program does
not accelerate any further, that may be limited by tablet. (Kurta
IS/ONE). Even at its fastest the speed is still quite low to expectation
of that of Pentium prosessor. Clearly slower of what it was at 90:eens
when I used it by 33MHz 486 prosessor (on MS-DOS)
 In general it seems that those commands suffering of slow speed
are mostly those related to display calculations (REGEN.. floating point,
 badly  and REDRAW... integer, slightly) and also printing (print vector
calculation, Autocad displays it progress, easy to observe)

   Thanks for your interest, Rauno Ollila, Kauhajoki

P.S. If any of you are interested my component library, please tell me.
    They are open source....

This mail sent through L-secure: http://www.l-secure.net/